California wakes up to a COVID-19 lockdown

0
21


 


4m ago

Virus ends daily London spectacle of the “Changing of the Guard,” for now

“In line with Government advice to avoid mass gatherings, it has been agreed that the ceremonial of the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, St James’s Palace and Windsor Castle will be postponed until further notice,” Britain’s royal family confirmed Friday.

The daily spectacle, particularly at Buckingham Palace in central London, typically draws thousands of tourists who watch as the military units traditionally tasked with protecting the British monarch march in formation in and out of the palace gates. 

111894734.jpg

Members of the Queen’s Guard perform the Changing of the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace in a 2011 file photo.

Getty/Peter Macdiarmid


Amid an increasingly deadly outbreak of the new coronavirus in Britain, Queen Elizabeth II herself has left Buckingham Palace and taken up indefinite residence at Windsor Castle, her home about an hour west of London.

The statement released by Buckingham Palace on Friday morning said “advice will be reviewed on an ongoing basis,” to ensure the ceremonies could resume “when appropriate.”

 


19m ago

New Jersey family has lost 4 people to the coronavirus

A fourth member of a New Jersey family died Thursday from the novel coronavirus. Vincent Fusco died Thursday morning at a hospital in Freehold, NJ.com reported.  

His death was confirmed by Roseann Paradiso Fodera, an attorney and relative. Fusco’s mother, Grace Fusco, died Wednesday night, hours after another son, Carmine Fusco, died in Pennsylvania.

A sister, Rita Fusco-Jackson, died last Friday. In her final hours, Grace Fusco wasn’t aware her two children had died, Paradiso Fodera, told the newspaper.

CBS/AP

 


36m ago

Scores detained in Turkey over “provocative” coronavirus posts on social media

Turkey has detained 64 people over “provocative and baseless” social media posts about the new coronavirus pandemic, the interior ministry said.

The ministry did not give details but there have been instances in other countries of misinformation shared online including in Indonesia and the United States.

“We have found 242 suspects making baseless and provocative coronavirus posts on social media, and 64 have been detained,” the ministry said on Twitter late Thursday. 

Doctor separates coronavirus fact from fiction

It did not give further details but said work continued to detain others.

Turkey has so far confirmed four deaths from the novel coronavirus, while 359 cases of infection have been recorded. 

– AFP

 


5:53 AM

“I don’t know what people here are thinking”: Expert dismays at Italians ignoring lockdown

The vice president of the Chinese Red Cross has expressed dismay at the extent to which Italians continue to flout government orders to remain indoors for all but essential needs amid the deadliest COVID-19 outbreak on the planet.

Italy has confirmed more than 3,400 deaths from the coronavirus, with the northern region of Lombardy being the hardest-hit.

With China reporting no new domestic coronavirus infections for two consecutive days now, the country has declared itself over the worst of the disease and sent teams of experts to Italy and other nations where it is still getting worse. 

Sun Shuopeng was part of a Chinese team that visited Lombardy this week. According to the South China Morning Post, he told reporters Thursday that adherence to the measures implemented in Lombardy to try and stem the disease’s spread has been “lax.”

“Here in Milan, the hardest hit area by COVID-19, the lockdown measures are very lax. I can see public transport is still running, people are still moving around, having gatherings in hotels and they are not wearing masks,” he said according to the Hong Kong-based newspaper. “I don’t know what people here are thinking. We really have to stop our usual economic activities and our usual human interactions. We have to stay at home and make every effort to save lives. It is worth putting every cost we have into saving lives.”

 


5:07 AM

Richard Burr, some other senators sold lots of stock as virus fears started

Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr sold as much as $1.7 million in stocks just before the market dropped in February amid fears over the coronavirus outbreak, Senate records show.

Several other senators sold big stock stakes around the same time, Senate records reveal.

The documents show that Burr, a Republican from North Carolina, and his wife sold between roughly $600,000 and $1.7 million in 33 separate transactions in late January and mid-February, just before the market began to fall and as government health officials began to issue stark warnings about the effects of the virus. Several of the stocks were in companies that own hotels.

CBS/AP

 


5:04 AM

Almost half of coronavirus patients have digestive symptoms, study finds

Diarrhea and other digestive symptoms are the main complaint in nearly half of coronavirus patients, Chinese researchers report. Most patients with the coronavirus have respiratory symptoms, but these findings from the early stages of the outbreak show that digestive problems are prevalent in many patients with COVID-19.

“Clinicians must bear in mind that digestive symptoms, such as diarrhea, may be a presenting feature of COVID-19, and that the index of suspicion may need to be raised earlier in these cases rather than waiting for respiratory symptoms to emerge,” wrote the investigators from the Wuhan Medical Treatment Expert Group for COVID-19.

The researchers analyzed data from 204 COVID-19 patients, average age nearly 55, who were admitted to three hospitals in the Hubei province between Jan. 18 and Feb. 28, 2020. The average time from symptom onset to hospital admission was 8.1 days.

Robert Preidt

 


5:01 AM

“There is hope”: Two drugs could help patients fight back

One of the reasons health professionals are so worried about the coronavirus pandemic is that there is no specific medicine to treat or prevent the disease — if a patient gets sick, all doctors can do is provide supportive treatment to help them breathe. But in Thursday’s coronavirus task force briefing from the White House, President Trump touted two preexisting treatments that have been floated as potential ways to help patients fight back.

Both drugs are still in clinical trials for coronavirus. But CBS News medical contributor Dr. David Agus joined “CBS Evening News” anchor Norah O’Donnell to break down what we know about the medications.

Read the full interview with Dr. Agus here

 


5:00 AM

COVID-19 confirmed in staff at facilities housing migrants in U.S.

Officials confirmed Thursday that a staffer at a New York facility that cares for unaccompanied migrant children in U.S. custody tested positive for COVID-19. The government is consulting with the local health department about “the level of exposure for the children” in the facility.

The unidentified New York facility, overseen by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), has stopped receiving unaccompanied minors and officials are notifying any staff that may have been exposed. Nationwide, the U.S. government has tested four unaccompanied children in ORR custody for the coronavirus. Two tests came back negative and the others are pending.

Separately, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials announced that one of the agency’s medical staffers at a detention facility in Elizabeth, New Jersey, tested positive for the virus. The staffer was recently under self-quarantine and is now receiving treatment, according to officials. Earlier in the day, an officer at a jail in Bergen County, New Jersey, used by ICE also tested positive for the virus.

ICE said there have not been any confirmed COVID-19 cases among its tens of thousands of immigrant detainees. But the agency is facing mounting pressure to release some detainees to avert a potentially deadly outbreak inside the world’s largest immigration detention system. 

 


4:55 AM

California governor announces statewide stay-at-home order

California Governor Gavin Newsom on Thursday announced a statewide order for residents to stay at home, taking effect Thursday evening. Essential services like grocery stores and pharmacies will remain open, but venues like bars, dine-in restaurants and gyms will be closed. 

“This is a moment where we need to have straight talk and we need to tell people the truth,” Newsom said. 

He added that the order will not be enforced by law enforcement, and that he is relying on the social contract to keep people indoors. 

“I don’t believe the people of California need to be told through law enforcement,” he said.  



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here